Hello! Here is a short tip detailing a technique to put scanned lineart on its own layer in Photoshop. As with most things in Photoshop, there are various ways to do this, but this is just one.
Start off with your lineart! This can be something you’ve scanned, or something you’ve simply drawn onto a white layer and want to move to its own layer so you can color under it. If your lines are pure black and white, you can simply select all the black and copy it to a new layer, but if you’ve got grays in there it’s not so simple.
I am using Photoshop CS6, but this should work in any version that includes the Channels palette. Go to the Channels palette, hold Ctrl (Command on a Mac), and click the thumbnail of the RGB Channel (or CMYK if that’s the color mode you are using).
This selects all the white/gray areas of the image. The lighter a pixel is, the more opaque its selection is; darker areas will be more transparent. However, this is the opposite of what we want, so go to the Select menu and choose “Inverse” (or press Shift + Ctrl + I).
Now we have the black areas selected. Go back to the Layers palette, make a new layer, and fill the selection with black (you can press Alt + Backspace to do this quickly). Now you can replace the original layer or fill it with white or do whatever you want to do with it. Your lineart is on its own layer with no pesky white background to block out your colors.
What’s the advantage to doing it this way rather than duplicating your original layer and setting it to Multiply? For one thing, you can now lock the transparency of your lineart and do color holds (the fancy term for coloring your lineart). I’m sure there are other benefits. Who knows!
Join us next time on Photoshop Tips where I’ll reveal the secret menu option that draws comics for you.
- brodieman1000 likes this
- fetuchines reblogged this from owo
- thisnameisquitespooky likes this
- kim-swaq likes this
- celinebotte likes this
- surjio likes this
- spensur likes this
- nicklastine likes this
- shestval likes this
- plentyofbutts reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- jpattonart likes this
- kisses4ghosts reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- encyclopedia-referencia reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- rachelraygun reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- tinypeek likes this
- keialaar likes this
- lunarblue21 likes this
- candycanemiscreant likes this
- orgrimen-reblogs likes this
- thisshouldbesomethinggreat reblogged this from fannishcodex
- thisshouldbesomethinggreat likes this
- sendasan likes this
- remonrime likes this
- fannishcodex reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- rocketshipskies likes this
- whitelyte reblogged this from nunubunkie
- mealguien likes this
- twinklepunt likes this
- neutralhands likes this
- title01 reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- bonzly likes this
- dessertsforakiller likes this
- madimpossiblemolly reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- willowisper likes this
- blpak reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- stabikaboo likes this
- healthcreative reblogged this from jetgreguar
- soursundaes likes this
- soursundaes reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- red-frame reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- mindctrlz reblogged this from jephjacques
- booty-game likes this
- honeypretzel reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- klaxonblare likes this
- shiny-deino likes this
- devioussprite likes this
- silentsherlock likes this
- enjolrasebooks reblogged this from ribbonista
- weeab00s likes this
- cheesewithnutella reblogged this from ribbonista