Hello! Here is a short tip detailing a technique to put scanned lineart on its own layer in Photoshop. As with most things in Photoshop, there are various ways to do this, but this is just one.
Start off with your lineart! This can be something you’ve scanned, or something you’ve simply drawn onto a white layer and want to move to its own layer so you can color under it. If your lines are pure black and white, you can simply select all the black and copy it to a new layer, but if you’ve got grays in there it’s not so simple.
I am using Photoshop CS6, but this should work in any version that includes the Channels palette. Go to the Channels palette, hold Ctrl (Command on a Mac), and click the thumbnail of the RGB Channel (or CMYK if that’s the color mode you are using).
This selects all the white/gray areas of the image. The lighter a pixel is, the more opaque its selection is; darker areas will be more transparent. However, this is the opposite of what we want, so go to the Select menu and choose “Inverse” (or press Shift + Ctrl + I).
Now we have the black areas selected. Go back to the Layers palette, make a new layer, and fill the selection with black (you can press Alt + Backspace to do this quickly). Now you can replace the original layer or fill it with white or do whatever you want to do with it. Your lineart is on its own layer with no pesky white background to block out your colors.
What’s the advantage to doing it this way rather than duplicating your original layer and setting it to Multiply? For one thing, you can now lock the transparency of your lineart and do color holds (the fancy term for coloring your lineart). I’m sure there are other benefits. Who knows!
Join us next time on Photoshop Tips where I’ll reveal the secret menu option that draws comics for you.
- mikeysmonarch likes this
- 171gifsofficial likes this
- babecutter likes this
- franthekumo likes this
- astrrum reblogged this from topaz-fire
- topaz-fire reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- final-ciclico likes this
- learn-some-arts-foolish-bourbon reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- reafureblogs reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- applejacksboxcars reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- fadedkind likes this
- reis-refs reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- annabelle1051 likes this
- magedark likes this
- rickisrude likes this
- raihii-reich reblogged this from schatten-maschine
- raihii-reich likes this
- schatten-maschine reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- schatten-maschine likes this
- helplesslittlefangirl likes this
- gigakicks likes this
- windhound reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- ragingboehner likes this
- elirepository reblogged this from jephjacques
- yarrusrefs reblogged this from jephjacques
- sahrafarrell reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- sahrafarrell likes this
- bandwagonfullofeevees likes this
- severeinfatuation reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- radicalresources reblogged this from riftcomic
- lieutenantsuperawesome likes this
- karomichii likes this
- ten-rows-of-teeth likes this
- trashblogg reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- rockogirl likes this
- oracleofink likes this
- artstuffandrefs reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- brodieman1000 likes this
- b4ngtan likes this
- celinebotte likes this
- surjio likes this
- spensur likes this
- nicklastine likes this
- shestval likes this
- plentyofbutts reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- jpattonart likes this
- kisses4ghosts reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- encyclopedia-referencia reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- rachelraygun reblogged this from nedroidcomics