Hello! Here is a short tip detailing a technique to put scanned lineart on its own layer in Photoshop. As with most things in Photoshop, there are various ways to do this, but this is just one.
Start off with your lineart! This can be something you’ve scanned, or something you’ve simply drawn onto a white layer and want to move to its own layer so you can color under it. If your lines are pure black and white, you can simply select all the black and copy it to a new layer, but if you’ve got grays in there it’s not so simple.
I am using Photoshop CS6, but this should work in any version that includes the Channels palette. Go to the Channels palette, hold Ctrl (Command on a Mac), and click the thumbnail of the RGB Channel (or CMYK if that’s the color mode you are using).
This selects all the white/gray areas of the image. The lighter a pixel is, the more opaque its selection is; darker areas will be more transparent. However, this is the opposite of what we want, so go to the Select menu and choose “Inverse” (or press Shift + Ctrl + I).
Now we have the black areas selected. Go back to the Layers palette, make a new layer, and fill the selection with black (you can press Alt + Backspace to do this quickly). Now you can replace the original layer or fill it with white or do whatever you want to do with it. Your lineart is on its own layer with no pesky white background to block out your colors.
What’s the advantage to doing it this way rather than duplicating your original layer and setting it to Multiply? For one thing, you can now lock the transparency of your lineart and do color holds (the fancy term for coloring your lineart). I’m sure there are other benefits. Who knows!
Join us next time on Photoshop Tips where I’ll reveal the secret menu option that draws comics for you.
- victorythruharepower reblogged this from voraciousscrolling
- sommerbommer likes this
- mylifeasfarts likes this
- trickstercalliope reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- chibitracy likes this
- amandapfeiffer likes this
- waywardskyeyes likes this
- minaroo likes this
- em-i likes this
- sadfrankie likes this
- keychainy likes this
- visual--addiction likes this
- mochi813 likes this
- msladyluck reblogged this from nunubunkie
- tictocrabbit likes this
- thanatosiansmile likes this
- pamelaisley9291 reblogged this from nunubunkie
- aristocraly likes this
- sirgrinningwalrus likes this
- whitelyte likes this
- dreamfleet likes this
- drummering likes this
- tigerintherain likes this
- thegrimmm likes this
- natsubutts reblogged this from nunubunkie
- samurajdreamer likes this
- nunubunkie reblogged this from zerachin
- opheroth reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- sketch-monster reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- toonfuture reblogged this from itmustbelovely
- theblkmkt likes this
- platointhepeonies likes this
- u-k-u-l-e-l-e likes this
- suns-need-love-too likes this
- 3-pipe-problem likes this
- thatdudeinblue likes this
- eternally-untitled likes this
- runawaybro likes this
- blueanimestar101 likes this
- imaginary-nocturne reblogged this from nedroidcomics
- joseph-motherfucking-biden likes this
- queen-nat-xvi reblogged this from theblankmap
- deanwincheeto reblogged this from theblankmap
- queen-nat-xvi likes this
- in-bloomm likes this
- theblankmap reblogged this from yaexrae
- hautdogg likes this
- artblogthingy likes this
- grrmartins-hat reblogged this from nedroidcomics